Tuesday, July 27, 2010

home away from home


So, lately I feel as though the hospital is my new home away from home and the nurses in labor and delivery are my new best friends. It all started last Monday, I was at the gym and started spotting heavily so I freaked out, called my mom and booked-it to the hospital. The whole way there I cried like a fool because I was terrified the baby was going to be in distress or worse. The emergency room people were so efficient and took me straight to labor and delivery.

Meanwhile, Trent’s amazing aunt Anne picked him up from work in Salt Lake and drove him down to meet me at the hospital. She was so sweet and stayed with us until we knew everything was going to be ok. What a comfort!

The doctors said it was a placental abruption and that they needed to run all kinds of tests and monitor me and the baby. The biggest blessing came when they hooked the monitor to my little angel and his heart was beating normally. After I heard his heart I was a lot less hysterical, but it was still scary because they were very vague about whether I was in labor or not. They ended up giving me two steroid shots (OUCH!) to help the baby’s lungs finish developing quickly just in case he did come right away. Luckily baby Andrews is comfortable right where he is for now. So, I stayed in the hospital from Monday to Tuesday and they sent me home with instructions to decrease my activity (no more working out).

Then on Friday, the same thing happened again. I had some more spotting and they told me to come straight back if it happened again. So, we went back and had another fabulous evening of blood tests, monitors, and hospital food. This time they did an ultrasound and we found out that he is DEFINITELY still a boy, and somehow Trent and I have a big baby, he is weighing in at 6.1 lbs 5 weeks early! Everything with the baby seemed fine again, so on Saturday they sent me home, this time on bed-rest. So, we are hoping baby Andrews can stay put for another few weeks, but really we have no idea what to expect. I guess we mainly feel blessed that he is alive and kicking.